I have to say that I've written some pretty depressing shorts and I have some action packed scenes in my novel.. for those moments I have a "My Hard Songs" playlist. I say "my" hard songs because my husband considers them quite timid... Some are timid, even in my own eyes, but the beat can be quite strong or prominent so it goes in the hard playlist... Like the U2 song, it's great but the melody is very strong and distinct from the rest of the song so it stirs me up for writing something fun but fast paced.
So these are a sampling of songs in my playlists but they're also to my tastes... they may not be to yours! I must also note at this time that I am seriously addicted to songs I grew up with... so you may see a lot of '90, '70's or older songs that make you go, "Whoa, that brings me back years!"
My easy Listening/Novel playlist
- Coconut by Harry Nilson (This one's on my playlist twice.)
- Serenity by Godsmack
- Blue Collar by Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO)
- Everything by Lifehouse
- You Learn by Alanis Morrisette
- 1234 by Feist
- Where No One Knows Me by Jann Arden
- Breaking the Girl by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Wave over Wave by Great Big Sea
- There Goes the Neighborhood by Sheryl Crow
- After Tonight by Justin Nozuka
- It's Amazing by Jem (Sex and the City Movie Soundtrack) AWESOME SONG!
My "Hard" List
- Running Blind by Godsmack
- Control by Puddle of Mudd
- Turn the Page by Metallica
- Instant Karma by U2
- Hangnail by Nickelback
- Give it Away by Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Where Are You by Our Lady Peace
- You Really Got Me by Van Halen
Happy Writing and Listening!