1/31/11

Music for Writing

     Surprisingly, I've received a few requests for my playlist when I write.  I have to be honest that I write to a lot of different playlists depending on my mood, the piece I'm working on and the scene I'm developing.  Writing in my blog and light hearted scenes go well with my "Easy Listening" play list.  I also have a playlist I developed solely for my novel that fluctuates from serious to a bit more comfortable, but because I could work on my novel for a long period of time I need things that arouse good "feelings" when I hear them but are also repetitive so I am not tempted to listen to the actual words.  When I do that I get so immersed in music I have a hard time focusing on the scene and then I'm done writing for an hour... it's quite distracting.
     I have to say that I've written some pretty depressing shorts and I have some action packed scenes in my novel.. for those moments I have a "My Hard Songs" playlist.  I say "my" hard songs because my husband considers them quite timid... Some are timid, even in my own eyes, but the beat can be quite strong or prominent so it goes in the hard playlist... Like the U2 song, it's great but the melody is very strong and distinct from the rest of the song so it stirs me up for writing something fun but fast paced.
     So these are a sampling of songs in my playlists but they're also to my tastes... they may not be to yours!  I must also note at this time that I am seriously addicted to songs I grew up with... so you may see a lot of '90, '70's or older songs that make you go, "Whoa, that brings me back years!" 


My easy Listening/Novel playlist
  • Coconut by Harry Nilson (This one's on my playlist twice.)
  • Serenity by Godsmack
  • Blue Collar by Bachman Turner Overdrive (BTO)
  • Everything by Lifehouse
  • You Learn by Alanis Morrisette
  • 1234 by Feist
  • Where No One Knows Me by Jann Arden 
  • Breaking the Girl by Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Wave over Wave by Great Big Sea
  • There Goes the Neighborhood by Sheryl Crow
  • After Tonight by Justin Nozuka
  • It's Amazing by Jem (Sex and the City Movie Soundtrack) AWESOME SONG!
My "Hard" List
  • Running Blind by Godsmack
  • Control by Puddle of Mudd
  • Turn the Page by Metallica
  • Instant Karma by U2
  • Hangnail by Nickelback
  • Give it Away by Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Where Are You by Our Lady Peace
  • You Really Got Me by Van Halen
 Be sure to pick songs that encourage you by listening to them... not so much in words but by melody and tempo.  I find when I listen to Classical I get a very different perception and feeling from certain songs than others and the same can be said for anyone.  Since you'll be writing, be sure the music itself is uplifting.  I remember starting the novel out I was listening to songs that had very positive messages in the words... but the melodies? Forget about it... they were so depressing!  So be sure you match them up that way and don't mix too many moods into one playlist, it gets to be tough to control your own feelings when you're writing.  When you go back and write after a weird music stint you always wonder, "What was I thinking?"

Happy Writing and Listening!

No comments: