2/12/11

Top 5 Things I Always Write With

True, when I'm at Starbucks or other cafes, I usually don't have all of these items.  At home however, is a different story.  BTW, for some items I've made them into a link.  For example, there are some drinks listed below with my favorite links to my preferences. 

  1. A lit scented candle.  It can't be a cheap one.  It's got to be an awesome candle that has my preferences in mind.  The only thing I will substitute for a burning scented candle is simmering a scented wax tart.  My preferred company is Yankee Candle Candle Company.  I recently went to Murdoch's in Whitehorse when they had their Candle Sale after Christmas.  The candles I bought were: Vanilla Lime (awesome scent! Very mellow, but because it's got citrus in it, it won't put you to sleep.) I also got a wax tart in this scent for when the candle's done.  In my tart burner now is a Lemon Lavender scented puck.  I think it's too floral for me, it kind of makes me want to sneeze.  Lavender, if done wrong, can be very cheap smelling.  The lemon makes an already strong scent a little overwhelming.  So, if you are sensitive to scents but enjoy some...this one is not for you.  I bought two other candles, one is my traditional favourite: Sage and Citrus.  I like it.  It boarders on musky and spicy.  It's a really interesting blend.  Then I bought a Yankee candle that was titled "Aromatherapy Spa: True Bliss"   It's Tangerine and Vanilla!"  It's a really soft citrus scent.  Like a sweet orange. Yum.  The last candle product I bought was another tart, and it's quite strong.. so we'll see how I feel once I burn it; Jasmine Green Tea.  The Jasmine is very strong, so I hope burning it brings out more of the green tea notes. 
  2. My Writing Notepad. This note pad is where I store all of my ideas, prompts and "what if's" answers.  I have many portable notebooks that are pocket sized and that go in my pocket, wallet or purse.  This one, however is different.  It's more of a compendium of all of those.  To explain I'll give you a scenario:  I went to Miles Canyon this fall with my daughter and husband.  We had a ton of fun and the architecture built by the constant flow of water created a story in my mind.  A full fledged challenge created by a very strong character.  I wrote it in the little pocket book I carry around for notes.  Then, I came home and wrote it in my "Writing Notepad."  Every idea or story feed I've had since before my daughter was born is in there.  So, it's way too valuable to go anywhere with me... it stays safely tucked in my office.  The cool thing is that I got it at Starbucks the weekend before I left Prince George (pregnant) to move to Whitehorse.  On the front it says "Ideas" and then at the bottom it says, "can change the world."  I think so too.
  3. A cup of something, usually caffeinated but I've been known to have wine while writing... not often though!  This could be tea (Green or black prefered), coffee, latte or cappuccino or, a glass of a Riesling, Pinot Griggio or Chardonnay.  Right now I'm into tea:  I love Tetley's Earl Grey Tea with Vanilla.  It tastes like a London Fog without the milk... Yum yum. I think this one is self explanatory.  One make my mind go into overdrive, the other calms my mind or creates for me a slower pace.  This is great.  If I've had a day where everything is rush-rush, then I'll bring a half-full glass of wine to the desk with me maybe once a month or two.  If it's before 6, it'll be caffeinated, especially if I had a day where I've been bagged or lack sleep.  Then, I would say that if it's after 6pm (my caffeine cut off) I have a diet pop.  I love Diet Cream Soda. 
  4. A window.  True, it's something I've either got in my office or I don't but if I have a lot of natural light and an easy view out a window then I'll spend a lot of time at my desk.  Matt and I lived in an apartment in Prince George that was chest high and up.  His desk went on the end of the wall closest to the window and then I ended up in the corner near a closet.  I felt like I was in prison, hence why I rarely wrote.  The only time I wrote a lot in that apartment was in summer, I would take my laptop out onto the deck and plug it in inside.  I would sit out there with a cold drink like iced tea and watch traffic or people go by.  It was great!  Now, I am set up at my desk and The window begins right above my desk and I can stare out at the houses behind our own and just imagine what those people are doing. Or, I'll stare up at the tops of the trees and just open my imagination to whatever my muse suggests... 
  5. My Dynex Mini Optical Mouse, is the best purchase I ever made.  It's a teeny tiny little digital mouse that has a retractable cord with a USB attachment.  It's small and comes with a little bag that cinches up to fit into any computer bag.  It's so tiny! It's about the size of a fat lighter.  Mine's a little different than the one listed on the site above... also, there's a wireless option and I may go and get it!!!!  :D




What are your habits or writing must haves?

No comments: