12/28/11

Count Down: 5 Reasons to Write Your Book

The Count Down 10 Days Until New Years presents,

5 Reasons to Write Your Book

1) If you never start, you'll never finish.

The truth is, you can think about writing all you want but until you sit at that computer or desk and start typing your words or writing by hand, you haven't started anything.  Googling, researching and reading related books is all great for your research process, but it's separate from the actual act of writing.  Here's the rule fellow writers: Writing means creating words and recording them on some medium either digital or paper.  If new words aren't being recorded you're not writing.  Do you research after the book otherwise the story itself won't come out.  I get so distracted by "Research" and "Platform building," it's a wonder that I ever write anything... So get writing!

2) You'll have fun!

Believe it or not, the process of creating is so much fun.  Even if the book is non-fiction, the process to create a piece of literature is a lot of fun.  I write within a genre and I love creating new story worlds for these wonderful character.  I feel like an archaeologist slowly (sometimes quickly) pulling or sweeping off the dust/dirt and discovering a character as I test them and throw some really horrible experiences their way.  I think it's the closest to God that a human being to get to.

3) You gain experience as a writer.

The act of writing a book is a very difference beast than writing a short story or a novella because you have to have enough content and a strong plot to write a full-length novel. Plus, there has to be over and under-arching stories that wind their way through the plot.  Everything I've learned about writing a book has become some reflection of me.  For example, I finished my novel (the writing, not the editing) and something didn't feel quite right. I went through the entire novel and cut approximately 30,000 words.  When I did this I lost a bit of content but I also noticed that I tended to use adverbs and adjectives fairly often, so when I began to rewrite to fill the voids I found in story and content I was conscious of adverb and adjectives and going back over it was a pleasure because I didn't find a quarter of the level I was finding before the editing phase.

4) You can gain credibility and build a readership.

If you want to be a regular author then writing your first book can lead to writing a second book, gasp!  Who knew?  If you truly love to write then it comes down to, why aren't you? The more you write the more you'll reach people and the best platform for an author is actual readership.  Whether you want to self publish, or you want to publish traditionally or you only want to e-publish, you still need to write.  If you don't want to write to write but rather to build your expertise, then you can do it in this way.  It's almost sad to say that being a published author in your field is almost more credibility than having initials after your name with an education behind it.  There is a whole industry of self-help individuals that do not have credentials in the traditional sense, but once published had entire platforms explode! So, a book can only build your credibility, but remember that if you're going to self-publish, you need to get someone to edit it who isn't related to you.

5) If you're successful, it creates revenue.

There are a few people who find it hard to write a book because there's no immediate pay off, no check every two weeks so they can't justify their time spent away from family, friends and they have a hard time dealing with the looks they get from people after they tell them that they are writing a book.  Keep your eye on the prize: publication and therefore revenue.  Even if you don't want to sell your book to a traditional publisher, if you self-publish you will earn revenue from your readers when they pay for your book. Who doesn't want some extra cash?

So, get writing! 

Sure there are reasons not to write a book, but if you love to write, then you might as well try a book at least once.

3 comments:

Murray Lundberg said...

I suggest that you're commenting from a fiction perspective. Writing non-fiction, research is the basis of the book - you can't write and then do the research. Your job is to make what you find during the research interesting and accessible. And "fun"? The closest I could get to that during my writing has been "rewarding". :)

J Dowell-Irvine said...

I like all the information you are providing Amanda. My oldest son has a talent for writing and right now is working in the oil patch. He is only 18 and does not want to go to university. He told me he would like to be a writer and write a novel but does not feel a need to go to university for this. He wants to live a little (saving to travel Europe) and gain more life experience. I am referring him to your blog - I think it's got pertinent info/good advice for him.
I watched the Gilbert video you posted - I really enjoyed it and watched it again with my husband. Just what I needed to hear. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.