12/2/11

Self Publishing

I went to a writing retreat in the fall and I have to say that I learned a lot about e-publishing as well as self publishing that  I didn't to begin with, but my opinion hasn't changed all that much.  For my initial blog about self-publishing versus traditional please click here.  I will have a few other blog posts and links below for anyone thinking about these processes or considering either.

YukonDude posted a question quite awhile ago about e-publishing and my opinion about such publishing.  You can see his secondary comment by clicking on the link I have above and scrolling down to see his comment.

The thing with e-publishing is that it makes it easy to buy for the tech-savy reader, it creates a large production range for the author/writer and it produces a plethora of reading for that writer's readership because the author can publish his or her own short stories, long stories or stories too short for one or too long for the other.
What someone considering e-publishing has to consider is the marketting.  Yes, it's less expensive than the marketing of paperback books but it's also very intensive.  The person who has written must therefore publish but then put the book out, it cuts out distributors and the actual publishers, hence: the middle man.

I can see these things making for a really positive outlook on e-publishing, but I would like to press that this is all great if you already have a readership.  If you don't you're just publishing a book that may or may not get readership. Marketing your book, going through the process of adding your book to e-bookstore locations, and then getting the odds and ends (think: book cover) done all take away time from what's most important to me: my writing.

If I do self-e-publish, then it would be in the far future after I have a large readership, but probably not.

When I truly love a book or writer, I buy their books because I know I'll want it for my permanent collection.  As a writer I have to hope that I can touch readers in that way... to make a reader want to keep my book for their permanent collection.

Now, as a person who understands she has her own bias here, I have invited Deanna Proach, a self-published author, to guest post here.  She wrote a historical fiction, Day of Revenge and can speak to the realities of self-publishing. We'll have her speak on Monday around 5pm. Keep an eye out for that post.

Here's the list of previous blogs regarding traditional, self or e-publishing.

Self Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing
Four things to consider if submitting traditionally


Here are some other blogs that I would recommend for writers looking at each of these forms.

Self Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing:  Caution, the video is very skewed in one way because the presenter is the CEO for a self-publishing company.  I would skip the video all-together! Read the article though.
Self Publishing vs. Traditional Publishing: Which will make you more money?  This one is great if you understand the numbers game... but let's be honest here, if you can't figure out these numbers then...
Self-Publish, or not? Brings up some good points...
Is self-publishing for you? Pros and Cons.  This writer has products for sale, and usually I am hesitant to recommend anything that advertises items, but the information is good and it's proof that she self-publishes.
3 Self-Publishing Pros and Cons  A little amateur and doesn't deal with every problem I would note, this blog entry has the tone of supporting self-publishing.
Traditional Publishing Pros and Cons A really great look at traditional publishing and it's pros and cons.  Brings to light some things that hopeful authors might not know.
Traditional Publishing: Pros and Cons Not bad, but as the image shows, it's a bit one sided.
What are the pros and cons of traditional publishing? This website launches not only into traditional, but also e-publishing, POD (Print on Demand) and self-publishing.

I hope this help, remember to come back on Monday for Deanna Proach's guest blog on self-publishing.

1 comment:

Murray Lundberg said...

Hi Amanda,

I can give you some perspective, as I've self-published in both print and e formats over the past 15 years. Each has its good points, depending on your subject - I write about history and travel, which may have different needs than that of other authors' subjects. My first book about Yukon mining history was a 1,000-copy run and took less than 5 years to sell out, which I was happy with. I published the second book (about the Canol project) for another author - only 100 copies were printed and it did very poorly except in the Norman Wells museum shop. The current project is an e-book on Yukon-Alaska travel that does very well, bringing in a few thousand dollars a year, year after year. I used to market it heavily but it's developed a life of its own thanks to Web forums. The advantage of the e format is that it costs very little, but marketing can be tough depending on your subject and current readership. Some day when I have time I'm going to write an updated version of my first book and it will be printed, because I think that's what will continue to work the best for it.

As you've all seen in the articles Amanda linked to, there are many ideas about what works and what doesn't - that's my take on it.