2/17/13

6 Things my Toddler Taught Me About Writing.

Last night I was up until two am with a sick child that couldn't keep her food down. While the experience as a whole was not comfortable, I learned a lot.

Here were my observations:

  1. Although my child was sick and couldn't keep food down, she knew what she needed. She would ask for water because she was thirsty, of course it came back up but she knew her body was dehydrated.
  2. Between her episodes, I was scared that she would be tired and cranky. Instead she had excess energy and knew she still wanted to play while she had time before bed. 
  3. She took steps to make herself feel better. After an episode or two, she said "Bath, Mommy." So I prepared a bath for her without toys. She relished the water and laid back in it, relaxing enjoying every moment of it.
  4. When bedtime came, although it was certainly going to be interrupted, she took to bed eagerly and relaxed while she could. She fell asleep quickly and woke only to endure an episode. She waited patiently while I changed the bed and then crawled in eagerly and fell asleep quickly.

With these observations, I have learned a lot about writing:

  1. Don't let a looming deadline distract you. Go about the task/writing assignment as if there is one pending, but stop worrying about it.
  2. Don't put off needs as if they are desires when you're writing. Too often I put off food, drink and other things while writing, thinking they are distractions. I need to feed myself when I am hungry even if I am writing. Needs are far different from desires.
  3. Look forward to the time you have to do the things you enjoy, such as time between projects to work on creative projects.
  4. Enjoy all moments of pleasure and stop worrying about when it will all end. Stop procrastinating on projects just to prolong moments of enjoyment; instead, start early and finish early to make the next break that much longer.
  5. Take the opportunities to get tasks done while they're available. Don't let fear or anxiety make you lose sleep.
  6. We've always got enough energy to get the necessary things done. So if it feels like you don't have energy, you're really just procrastinating.

I'm going to try and follow these directions to myself for the future, and in doing so secure a fulfilling writing regimen.

Have you learned anything from your family members that has made you a better writer or artist? Please leave a comment!

No comments: